Roof maintenance during winter is considered the most taxing activity. The weather patterns during the cold season can take a massive toll on even the most durable systems. So, it’s essential to consider potential roofing issues and know how to deal with them.
How to Winterize Your Flat Roof
- Have the right flat roofing with sealants and membranes for application.
- Make sure that the roof inspection is done in the fall to leave enough time for repairs.
- Check the seals, drainage, and edging. Remove any debris and clear your roof’s drains.
- Check for other minor repairs, such as membrane repair.
Can You Repair Your Roof During the Winter?
If you are planning to install roof shingles (100/m) during the winter, do so when the temperature is between 40 and 85 degrees so that they don’t become brittle. Nail down through the double shingle layer to ensure that you don’t blow through it. CASMA recommends using weather membranes to seal the eaves, valleys, and vents rather than weather roll roofing as it can wrinkle when applied in cold weather.
Also Read – All About Ice Dams and How to Prevent Them
What Is the Best Roof for Snow and High Winds?
- Asphalt shingles – Handles high-speed winds.
- Wood shakes – Withstand heavy rains, hailstorms, and hurricanes.
- Metal – Holds against wind and accompanying debris.
- Slate – Protects the roof from being blown off during strong winds.
How Can You Replace a Roof in Winter?
Although some might tell you to avoid replacing a roof in winter, working with an experienced roofing crew will help. A knowledgeable crew will ensure that the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations are followed for sealants and temperatures, especially during the winter.
How Can You Maintain Your Roof in Winter?
- Remove snow from the roof as soon as possible.
- Remediate all wind damage.
- Check attic ventilation.
- Clear all debris.
- Repair the existing flashing.
- Hire a professional for inspection.
Roofing in cold weather can be difficult. However, one must have patience coupled with careful planning to make all the difference to a winter roofing job.
If you’re looking for the best commercial roofing contractor in California, contact Applied Roofing Services to get the perfect commercial roofing solutions. Call us today at 714-632-8418 or get a quote online.