Solar power technology is an exceptional advancement that helps to reduce the cost of equipment involved. Solar panels are estimated to provide sufficient electrical energy to power 60% of commercial utilities. Nowadays, property owners want to install solar panels on their rooftops to save space and optimize solar energy.
Before installing solar panels on your rooftop, you should consider whether your roof design:
- Can support solar panels
- Has enough space to house the solar panels
- Can handle the weight of the solar panels
- Needs any repairs or replacements either now or in the future
Also, you should consider:
Roof System Durability
Your roof design should have an equivalent or longer lifespan than the solar panels. Contractors consider these factors to ensure your roof is as durable as your solar panel:
- The warranty or guaranty of the roof system that exceeds the expected lifespan of the solar panels
- Implementation of a cover board
- Adhered roof membranes with greater mil thickness and higher heat resistance
- Use of high compressive strength rigid insulation
The amount of electricity produced by a solar panel varies depending on its temperature. Hotter panels produce less power. Reflective roof membranes are good at reducing the heat build-up around solar panels. The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) recommends using a roof membrane that:
- Provides maximum protection against high service temperatures and the effects of UV radiation
- Can maintain high reflectance for a long period
- Has increased thickness to match the service life of the solar panels
Cover Boards and Insulation
Rooftop solar panels will increase the weight and foot traffic of the roof structure and that may result in degradation or leaks. Installing a hard cover board will enhance the protection and life expectancy of the roof design. Use of rigid insulation with high compressive strength will help to distribute loads and prevent crushing.
Solar Roof Installation
Get your solar panel installed by professional contractors. They will recommend the right solar panel that matches your roof system design and inspect your roof before and after the installation of a solar panel to make sure if any repairs or adjustments are required.
Solar Roof System Design
Installing solar panels on your rooftop is a great way to generate electricity for your business or home and reduce utility bills. However, factors such as durability of the roof, cover boards and insulation, roof membranes, layout requirements, and more should be considered before creating a perfect solar roof system design.
Related Articles: -Is Your Roof Fit Enough for Solar Panel Installation?
-The Reality of Rooftop Solar Panel Myths