When your roof starts showing signs of damage, it can be difficult to determine whether roof replacement or re-roofing would be more appropriate. Read on to learn which option is best for you.
What Does Roof Replacement Mean?
Roof replacement is entirely replacing your existing roof and can be done at any time. While re-roofing offers temporary respite, roof replacement is a long-term solution to fix your roofing issues.
When Should Roof Replacements Be Done?
Roof replacement is your go-to option if:
- You are having issues with your roof deck
- Your roof and shingles are in poor condition
What Does Re-Roofing Mean?
Re-roofing is the process of layering new shingles over existing ones and can only be done once during your roof’s lifetime. Re-roofing should be done on your entire roof rather than on a small portion. Although less expensive than roof replacement, re-roofing is only a specific solution for certain circumstances.
When Can Re-roofing Be a Good Idea?
Re-roofing is a great option if your roof:
- Is nearing the end of its lifespan but is still in good shape.
- Has minor issues or leaks, but no soggy or missing shingles, major water damage, or extensive moss or mildew growth.
What Are the Benefits of Re-Roofing?
- Offers additional protection without the need for major roof repairs.
- Restores your roof’s look, thus improving your building’s curbside appeal and aesthetics.
- Quick and easy process.
- Costs less than roof replacement.
How Long Does a Re-Roof Last?
Re-roofing depends on the roofing material.
- Copper, slate, and tile roofs can last more than 50 years
- Wood shingle roofs can last up to 30 years
- Fiber cement shingles can last for 25 years
- Asphalt shingles or composition roofs can last for about 20 years
Is Re-Roofing Right for Your Roof?
Deciding whether to replace your roof or re-roof it depends on your roof’s age, condition, shape, and the extent of the damage. Re-roofing does not suit every roof as using this method on a seriously damaged roof would temporarily cover up the issues, but can lead to extensive damages in the future. On the other hand, roof replacement may cost more, but helps in the long run by fixing the issues instead of covering them up.
Schedule an appointment with a roof replacement company to evaluate your roof and determine the best available option. The professional roofing contractor will check your roof for any significant damages that need to be fixed immediately.
Are you looking for the best commercial roofing company in California for roof replacement services? Contact Applied Roofing Services today to get comprehensive commercial roofing solutions at an affordable cost. Call us today at 714-632-8418 or get a quote online.