Whether you are constructing a new building for your business or renovating the existing one, skylight windows are an ideal option to consider. With various shapes and types to select from, skylight windows are a perfect choice for flat ceilings and ceilings with overhead spaces.
What Is Commercial Skylight Roofing?
A skylight is a fixed window frame installed on the roof. Skylight windows are highly recommended for commercial buildings because they ensure sunlight penetration, aesthetic appeal, better views, and improved ventilation. They come in various types and shapes and can be made of different materials that are as follows:
- Fixed skylights – Ideal for any room that requires additional light
- Tubular skylights – Best-suited for enclosed and tight spaces
- Ventilating skylights (roof windows) – Ideal for high/cathedral roofs
- Dome-shaped/Arched–Allows sunlight to spread throughout the room evenly
- Pyramid – Are mounted on curbs on flat roofs and are available with different slopes and pitches
- Flat –Ideal for flat or low-pitched roofs
- Plastic – Needs a special coating to be applied otherwise it will turn yellow over time and become incapable of deflecting UV radiations
- Glass –Is durable and offers greater longevity than plastic glazing
- Solar-heat control – Is energy-efficient and the best of all glazing material
Why Do You Need Skylights for Your Commercial Building?
The following are some of the reasons why you should consider skylight roofing for your commercial buildings.
- Reduces Energy Consumption
Skylight windows can be opened to let fresh air inside, helping to keep your room cool without turning on the air conditioner. Even on cold days, it allows the solar radiation to enter the room, keeping it naturally warm and reduce heating costs.
- Increases Employee Productivity
The natural light enhances your employees’ health by reducing stress and anxiety as well as prevents nearsightedness and seasonal affective disorder (SAD). As a result, your healthy employees can perform better, consequently boosting your company’s productivity.
- Enhances Overall Aesthetics
Installing skylights add an elegant touch to your commercial building, enhancing its appearance and aesthetic value.
- Gives a “Spacious” Feel
Skylights allow you to enjoy the beautiful night sky or nature during the day while also giving a more spacious feel to your existing space.
Curb-Mounted Skylights Vs.Deck-Mounted Skylights
Curb-mounted skylights require a box structure for installation. However, when replacing the skylight, the box structure can be used without re-flashing the skylight, provided the flashing is in good condition. Deck-mounted skylights are a recent development and are considered more energy efficient due to the absence of box structure. Depending on what you need, either of these skylight roofing options would be valuable.
Are Commercial Skylights Worth the Money?
Although skylights are on the pricier side, many of the previously mentioned benefits help outweigh the cost. However, make sure to properly install your skylights so that they perform well and do not leak.
Are you looking for the best commercial roofing contractor in Los Angeles and Orange County for commercial skylight roofing services? Contact Applied Roofing Services today at 714-632-8418 to get comprehensive commercial roofing solutions or get a quote online.